Thursday, January 27, 2011

Touch-me-not


What does God tell me when I look at the Touch-me-not? Certainly, I think of my need to not touch sin, or else risk giving the devil a foothold in my life. On an emotional level, though, I am reminded of my childhood. I look back now and think of what a sight I must have been. Just a frightened scraggly little girl. I lived in THAT house where the music could be heard blaring all the way down the street, police visits were frequent, and drug deals abounded. Knotted hair and stained clothing. No idea of what it was like to have a traditional family or parents who had any time for me. Oh, it's not that I wasn't loved - I know that I was. It's just that Dad had his own life apart from us and mom had to work so very hard to take care of us.

I think that others surely must have seen my neediness. I imagine that they may have been full of disdain at the idea of getting their hands "dirty" in having dealings with me. So they looked the other way. This is a pet peeve of mine in the Body. How many times are we afraid of getting our hands dirty doing Kingdom work? I thank God that He, in His infinite mercy, brought a few special teachers into my life. They didn't seem to mind if I left smudges on their lives. Their investment in me helped me in more ways than I can list here.

Do you know what's fascinating about the Touch-me-not? When its seedpod is touched, it will burst open, throwing seed in all direction. My life was touched by these teachers. Like the flower, I have been able to expel the seeds that He has planted deep in my soul. They go where He directs them and are used for His purposes. It thrills me to know that He has plans for me and that He has a part for me to play in other people's lives. How thankful I am that those teachers were not afraid to get their hands dirty by touching my life!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment