Friday, June 4, 2010

Unwinding


I've lately been blessed to spend much time outside gardening. There never seems to be a shortage of things to learn from Him on these occasions. Today found me pulling weeds, moving plants around, and pulling out ivy. Any of these could have served as a teachable moment from the Lord, but there was one instance that I heard Him most in. It was the morning glories.

We noticed the very first one opened this morning, which made me resolve to get them a bit straightened out. You see, they are growing all among the other plants in the bed. I set about painstakingly unwinding the ones that had wrapped themselves all around our dill, lilies, evening primrose, liatris, and other things. Once it was finally freed, I would transplant it near my fence where it could climb and wind around as much it it liked. Oh, was it a tedious task!

A friend had recently shared how the Lord takes such tiny detail in caring for us and directing us. I began thinking about these wild morning glories and seeing how I can be just as bad as them. How many times have I wrapped myself around people, situations, or ideas? During those times, He lovingly unwinds me, saying, "Child, wrap your life around me for I am the only source of true security and satifaction." He knows it would go such much better for me if I would just follow through in this way. How He must long for me to entwine my life with Him and rest in His love.

Help me, Lord, to wrap my life around You. I want to think of You first thing each morning and last thing each night. Cause my soul to cling to You so that I am utterly enthralled by Your presence. In the precious name of Jesus, Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment