Monday, May 24, 2010

Undivided Heart

I recently brought a beautiful Bleeding Heart plant home from a perennial sale. I knew that my girls would adore it and it reminds me to pray for a very special lady I know. I couldn't be happier with this newest addition to our flower garden.

Sometime last week I came across a scripture scribbled on a piece of scrap paper in my Bible. I couldn't wait to see what it said and quickly thumbed my way to Psalm 86:11. "Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name." Hmmm.... that got me thinking. What does an undivided heart look like? Just what does that mean?

First and foremost, I guess it would mean that I should seek after God wholeheartedly. I suddenly began examining each little part of my heart. How was I doing? Was I really putting Him first? Was my heart truly undivided? As I meditated on that passage, I began to realize that any time I allow something "iffy" into my life, my heart becomes divided. At that very moment I have taken a piece of my heart that is rightfully His and given it to someone or something else. Ouch! I don't want to do that.

Next, I began thinking of the passage with marriage in mind. Am I allowing anything into my mind that is causing my marital heart to become divided? Is disrespect present? Am I putting his needs before my needs? Am I loving him for who he is, strengths and weaknesses alike? Am I doing the things he asks of me, his helpmate?

I think I can do better in both respects.

Father, thank you for speaking to me about my heart. I love that You care enough about me to have these "conversations" with me. It helps me to feel that You are with me. How very precious You are to me! Please help me to always be sensitive to what You are telling me. I do want to have an undivided heart so that I may fear your name. In the name of Jesus I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment